I Wish I Could Draw Like That



I've been talking about hope for the last six days. I thought I would share this with you because it's about pushing through failure to get to the point where you're better than you were, even as you acknowledge you aren't where you want to be.

I didn't start off life as a great artist, and I am not one now. However, I have become a much better artist because year after year I have invested my time and my money into the craft. I have tried things, and I have failed a lot, but I have not quit.

I have gotten discouraged, and I have felt like giving up. I have looked with envy at the art of others and wished that I could be that good. And then, rather than allowing that envy and discouragement to make me quit, I have reminded myself that if they can do it, I can do it, too. And I have pushed through and I have become better.

Whenever you're learning something, you're not going to be good. You're going to be awful. You're going to produce stuff that falls far short of the goals you have in mind. But that isn't an excuse to quit. Failing is part of learning, and you'll never get good at anything until you're willing to fail.

I've struggled for 40 years to get where I am now. I'm still not where I want to be, but I know more things and I understand more things, and I've grown a lot from there. I have the sure and certain knowledge that if anyone can do something, I can do it, too. I don't have to stay a failure for life. I can succeed in getting where I want to be.


Comments