Writing for God

This blog does not belong to me. It belongs to God. I write the blog, publish the articles in the places I know to publish them, but the rest of it is up to Him. I do not have to worry whether people will read this blog or not, I only have to entrust it to Him and He will see to it that those who need to see it do so. I do not have to concern myself when I am having trouble finding a topic. All I need to do in that case is to ask God for help and He will provide the topic. I do not have to concern myself over whether or not what I write will touch a heart, reach a mind, or aide someone else in overcoming a struggle. My task, my only task, is to use my talent to the best of my ability as honestly and fully as I am capable of doing and place my work in His hands. My only task is to plant the seeds. He will see to the soil, the rain, and the sunlight.

I sat down to write this blog tonight and I was at a loss for words. I just couldn't find a suitable topic. I did finally settle on a topic, but it wasn't working. I couldn't put into words that made sense the meaning I found in the topic I'd chosen. It felt empty, forced, and dull. Then, I prayed my favorite prayer before writing (http://www.familylifecenter.net/prayerstudy.asp) and started my writing all over again.

This time, I asked myself why I was writing. Was I writing to fulfill my own dreams, or was this blog a way of giving back to God some small part of everything He has given me? Was I writing for my glory - or for His? I knew what I wanted the answer to be. I wanted the answer to be that I had been writing for Him, but I knew that wasn't true. I was thinking about me.

As usual, when I realized my error and refocused on the One who matters the words that had been so hard to find just moments earlier came easily and quickly. I knew what I would write about, and I knew why. You see, when I started this blog just 12 days ago I didn't really have a plan for the blog. It was a way to put my talents into use that might (hopefully) bring in a little extra money and share my love of the Catholic faith at the same time. Ironically, I didn't really include God in the decision to start the blog. I talked about Him, but not to Him, in most of the postings before this one. In only one other post did I even ask for His blessing or His help in finding a topic.

Tonight, though, I want to dedicate this blog to the Sacred Heart of Jesus Christ through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, in union with Saint Joseph. I ask the Lord God to bless it, to prosper it, and to protect it from all harm. May it be a place of sharing, healing, and fellowship where all are welcome. May it be an offering to Him who made me, a humble gift to dispose of as He desires. Thank you, God, for reminding me of the promise I have made to you to give you all of myself and for showing me those areas of my life where I have failed to live up to that promise. Thank you, Lord, for the opportunity to put my talents and gifts in your service and to make amends for my past failures. May this blog and everything in it be for your glory, your honor, and your praise. Amen.

Comments