Praise to the Lord

God has been busy today helping my family with all of its many needs.  When I woke up today, my rent was completely unpaid; my phone and internet were going to be shut off completely if not paid today; my electricity was due to be shut off soon; and I had very little left in my gas tank.

I left for work at 8:45, and we got a few blocks down the road when I noticed a small roll of money tucked under a windshield wiper.  We stopped the car. There was $7.  No note and no explanation. During work, we had a ton of people request take-out orders. I ended up with $7 in tips. Now, I had enough money to put a couple of gallons of gasoline in the car.

I got off work, and my husband hands me a check.  Four weeks ago, we got a notice that the State of Texas owed me money.  The state informed us when I called to check on my claim last  week that it would be 60-90 days from the date they received it until the date they processed the claim.  This is the first time in my entire life that anyone has ever owed me anything, let alone such a substantial amount and the fact that the check arrived when it did was sheer providence.

We went to Wal-Mart to cash the check, but Wal-Mart couldn't do it. I've never had a problem cashing a check of any sort before, but this time they simply wouldn't. I didn't know what to do. I couldn't pay the phone or the electric or any portion of the rent without this check.  Suddenly, I remembered that Eddie had a checking account at Wells Fargo. We headed over and got there at 5:48. They closed at 6.

I scooted inside the doors and they needed my debit card's pin number, which I didn't remember. I talked to Stephanie, she reset my pin for me, and I attempted to cash the check. They couldn't do it on a teen checking account, which is what my son's account is. I was nearly in tears. I asked if there was any way I could open an account of my own. They allowed me to do it, stayed late, and overrode the system so that I could get the cash I so desperately needed.

I don't have all the money I need to pay the rent, but I have more than half of it. My phone/internet is paid to the point where they won't shut it off right away. My electric is paid for this month.  Best of all, my husband and son agreed to, and participated in, family prayer tonight.  It's a baby step, but it's a baby step in the right direction.

I don't know if this is related to all that happened today or not, but for the last five nights I have been praying the Go To St. Joseph Novena along with the Sorrows of St. Joseph chaplet. I'll let you know what else happens along the way :).

Comments