Am I Trustworthy?


"Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found trustworthy" - 1 Corinthians 4:2

Am I trustworthy? Am I person whose word can be relied upon? Do I follow through with what I say that I will do?  Do I keep my promises? Are my actions consistent with my words?

I have striven toward this goal for much of my life, but I cannot say that I am there. I look back at my life and  see the wreckage of so many good intentions derailed, promises lying twisted and scattered about, standards set high but left untouched by my example.  I see debts accumulated and left unpaid.  I see, in short, a whole lot of very poor stewardship.

I could blame others. That would be easier. I could point out the poor teaching in stewardship I received from my parents, the bad example set by other hands. I could point fingers elsewhere, but this too would be another example of bad stewardship. The fault is mine.  Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Bad stewards place blame and make excuses for failure.  Good stewards own the responsibilities and the failures. The good news about it being my fault and mine alone is that it means the power to change the situation lies in my hands.

However, because of Christ, I need not despair over my past. I need not wallow in the guilt like a pig in its slop.  I have only to confess my sin, make a firm commitment to change my behavior, and begin again.  I cannot undo the damage I have done through my past actions, but I can allow Christ to guide me in right action in the future and allow Him to use me to bring good out of the evil I have done.

Will everyone who knows me believe right away in the change that I am making? No. I have destroyed their trust with my choices in the past, and I will have to earn it again.  Though I am forgiven, there is much work left to be done to set things right between us. Some may never forgive. This will be my penance, the price I pay for the mistakes of the past.  However, God will know my efforts, will know the truth of the matter. That will be enough.

I think, today, we are all being asked to examine whether we are trustworthy stewards.  If you think the answer is yes - take a look at the broader picture.  Have you been a worthy steward of America? Of your home? Of your family? Your church? Your neighbor?

Leave a comment and let me know what you think.

Comments