Lord, When Did We See You

This is a meditation on the Gospel of Matthew, chapter 25, versus 31 through 46.  The phrase that jumps out at me is "When did we see you?"

Lord, when did we see you? Do I see you, when you are hungry? Do I see you, when you are thirsty? Do I see you, when you are naked? Do I see you, when you are ill? Do I see you, when you are in prison?  Do I see you? Am I looking for you?  Am I listening for your cries? Am I watching for you? Am I on the alert for you in whatever form you may take today?

Am I watching for you? You have told me to be vigilant, that I do not know the hour when you are coming.  Have you come and I overlooked you because you were homeless, dirty, or poor?  Have I overlooked you because you came when I was in a hurry? Have I overlooked you because I don't want to feel guilty for not doing what I feel you are calling me to do? Have I overlooked you because I was afraid you would ask too much of me, demand something of me I didn't want to give up?  Have I overlooked you because you were in my way when I wanted something?  Have I overlooked you because I was afraid of getting hurt, being used, being taken advantage of by you?

Do I overlook you because you remind me of my sins, sins I'd rather forget? Do I forget that I have used you, hurt you, and taken advantage of you and yet you have not turned your back on me when I was in need? Do I forget that everything I have comes from you and truly belongs to you, that I am merely the steward of it? Do I forget that if you are calling me to do something, it is for my own good as well as for the good of others?  Do I forget that no matter how many things you have to do in a given day, you always make time for me? Do I forget that if not for you, I would be homeless and dirty and poor?

Lord, when I am tempted to walk by and pretend I didn't see you in need, remind me that you are present in every face and every human heart no matter how that person looks or even acts.  Lord, when I am tempted to pass you by, remind me that you are really and truly here.  Help my eyes to see the truth, and my ears to hear your voice.  Help me, Lord, to remember that as you have done for me I am to do for others.


Comments