Pursuing a Dream

I sing. I love to sing, and I always have.  I've been singing in church choirs since I was 8 years old, and writing my own songs for the past 8 years.  I have tried multiple times to make it to the auditions for America's Got Talent and now the XFactor but could never scrape together the money to get to the location where the auditions were being held.

I've had people tell me what a beautiful voice I have and one lady recently asked me why I wasn't doing something with my voice - by which she meant performing - and I explained that it really did come down to not having the money to pursue it.  Money has always been my biggest obstacle, but this year I'm determined that money won't stop me from doing what I want to do. I will find a way, somehow.

So far this year HAS been different, in a lot of ways. For instance, this year I finally got the money together to buy a ticket to the Denver auditions, and I did. I still don't know where I'll be staying, so if you know of anybody in the Denver area who might allow me to sleep on a couch for the two nights (Monday and Tuesday) that I plan to be in town, I'd appreciate it (you can direct message me on Twitter @WriterBrandy or email me brandy at 40daywriter dot com.  Despite the uncertainties, though, I am willing to brave it because I believe in chasing your dreams. I believe dreams are a big part of what make life worth living, and I'd rather take a risk to pursue them than to live my whole life wishing I'd had the courage to pursue them, wondering what might have been.

I probably won't make the cut. To be honest, I'm okay with not making it. All I want is to know that I at least tried. That I gave it my best effort and didn't back down from the challenge presented to me. Win or lose, I want to know that I at least played the game and gave it a try.  At the end of the auditions, I'll return to Elko with no regrets.  That's more than most people can say.

This is my moment, I'm stepping out
Time to show them what I'm all about
Not going to live my life caught up in fear
I'm going to sing so the world can hear

Life lasts a moment, live for the dream
No matter how impossible it may seem
Better to have 15 minutes of fame
Than to die waiting for what never came!

Comments