Asking God for Help

Two years ago this month, my husband and I started our own business. We've mostly made a go of it, although in the last few months we've been struggling like crazy just to keep a roof over our heads, food on the table, and the lights and phone working so we can keep going. It's been frustrating.  We've been doing everything we could do, everything we knew to do, to find more clients and it wasn't happening.

I'd begun to wonder if maybe God wasn't telling us it was time to call it quits and do something else. I've been frustrated because I felt like if we just had the money we needed to invest we could buy something to fix the problems and our money troubles would be solved, but we've messed up our credit so badly that we couldn't borrow the time of day from a homeless person. So, with rent 10 days behind and the phone about to be shut off, I did the one thing I hadn't done yet: I decided to ask my husband to pray a 54 day novena to Our Lady to beg for help before I called it quits for good.  Randy and I both prayed the rosary together for the first time in a long time at 1:30 a.m. this morning.  That by itself was an answer to prayer - not the 1:30 a.m. part, but him praying with me and praying the rosary together.

By 10 am this morning, Randy was in the negotiating stage of landing a new client. An hour later, I received a response from someone I'd sent a business proposal to letting me know that he'd look it over and get back to me.  This is a client I've worked with before in the past, but who hasn't done business with me in 2 years. It's no guarantee, but it's looking promising.

Tonight, I was done with my Nanowrimo writing for the day and decided to listen to a webinar I'd meant to attend earlier but had missed because of some work I needed to do.  In the middle of that webinar by Michael Port, he said something I *KNOW* was coming straight out of the mouth of God:

"Many of your business problems are personal problems in disguise"

He's right. I know he's right.  Our current business problems result from our lack of confidence in ourselves, from our lack of faith that we have what it takes to make it, and from our difficulties in following through on commitments we've made to other people. I'm sure there is more than this, but these are the things I see right now.  Tonight, when I pray, I'm going to use that knowledge to laser target those areas with my prayers. I'm going to focus on asking God for help overcoming our lack of confidence and lack of faith, and to become people that are known for being promise keepers who always deliver what they say they will deliver when they say they will deliver it.  I know that if we can improve in those three areas, our whole lives will improve.

I'll keep you posted on the novena's results as the days go by.  I have faith in Our Lady, and I know that we're going to come out of this grateful for every hardship we had to pass through because all of it is what will lead us to our eventual success.   Do me a favor, though, and pray for our family.  Things are so tight financially  right now I can barely breathe.

Comments