Calling All Catholics

I have become a TED talk addict lately.  I love the combination of education and story telling that TED talks represent, and the topics are always thought provoking and fascinating.  Lately, though, of all the TED talkers I have watched, one stands out.  Jane McGonigal, a woman after my own heart, whose premise is that she wants to use games to craft a better world.  That is something I have always thought could be done, too.  In fact, that was the whole motivation for my working on my game design and development degree before I was forced to drop out. I do believe that games are powerful tools for teaching and for making the world a better place to live.

In one of her talks, she discussed having come up with a game called Super Better to help her in her challenge to overcome a case of suicidal depression.  The game has worked so well and helped so many, it has become quite popular.  This led me to my own particular inspiration: what if we Catholics could come up with a game similar in style to that one, but with the focus being on encouraging people to live out the works of mercy (both corporal and spiritual) on a daily basis.  What a powerful force for good such a game could become!

However, I realized that I need to recruit myself a team of super Catholics if we're going to make this game have enough challenge and variety.  I am, therefore, putting the call out to all of my Catholic (and anyone else who might be interested in participating) friends: comment below with a unique way that you can live out one or more of the corporal or spiritual works of mercy.  If you need a refresher course,  the corporal and spiritual works of mercy are as follows:

Feed the Hungry
Instruct the Ignorant
Give Drink to the Thirsty
Counsel the Doubtful
Clothe the naked
Admonish the sinner
Shelter the homeless
Bear Wrongs Patiently
Visit the Sick
Comfort the Sorrowful
Free the Prisoners
Forgive all Injuries
Bury the Dead
Pray for the Living & the Dead

Please share this post & let's get the ideas flowing.  If I decide to use your idea, I'll put your name in the game credits.

Comments