Be Content Where You Are

I told you about my talk with God the other day, about my complaints about His apparent lack of concern for my plans. I told you, also, that he told me simplyto be content with where I am and know that I am serving God even in the middle of this. It was not an overly satisfying answer.

Today's readings confirm the message: be content where you are and with what you have right now. Seek nothing further.  First, in the reading from 1 Corinthians when it reminds those who are unmarried not to seek out marriage and those who are married to be content in remaining so.  Then, in the Gospel when Christ reminds us that it is those who are now weeping who will later be rejoicing and those who are now poor who will be wealthy in the things that truly matter.

The Psalms which accompany this, Psalm 45: 11-12 & 14-17, are a beautiful reminder that these tribulations which we go through here are preparing us for the glory of the kingdom. The suffering burns off what is unworthy of the heavenly kingdom. This is where we learn to detach ourselves from worldly things so that all that is left of us is love of the Lord and our neighbor. It's a hard, hard thing to do but it is worth the pain that it requires to make that transformation.




Comments